Linocuts

Tuesday 2 February 2010

If I knew that I could die - WHAT?!

I guess it's that time of year.

I should get out the lightbox

But it's national. At the moment it is not enough for radio 4 that people are dying through no fault of their own, or even through the selfish disregard of those who could help keep them alive, we have to have a daily discussion about how we should/should not be able to plan our own deaths. Isn't part of the significance of death that it is at its best in no-one's control? You get to adult and you know you will die.
The power to say 'no', efficient contraception, abortion and ceasarians make the where and when of giving birth 'a personal choice' for some tiny proportion of the world's population - but not the baby - now somebody wants our family - parents, siblings, children to decide when we die.
The majority of the world is fighting to stay alive, we are discussing, Costa style, our 'right' to make someone else take control of our death.

aaaaaaaaargh

Later

I did the earlier before I went to get my leg bandaged and so had some thinking time on the bus. I think what provokes me about 'I've got a right to be killed' is

  1. the attempt to extend personal choice to total control - when you start demanding a law to allow you to dictate others' actions then what happens to their personal choice ?
  2. Is it meant to be out of consideration for your relatives - some kind of I don't want to be a burden? But if you don't trust them to want you to live how can you trust them to kill you when you want to die?
  3. How can you expect anyone else to take the decision that now is the time when you, by not killing yourself, have not yet reached that decision?

No comments:

Post a Comment