Linocuts

Monday 3 May 2010

Panic over

I thought I'd lost Angel.
Today being a fortnight after she was spayed and a bank holiday, we set off early for a leadless walk in Miggy woods, with snackerels and new camera and a raincoat.  The footpath runs between factories, quiet for the holiday, for the first 100 yards or so after I take the lead off and there were these yellow flowers, primrose or cowslip, I thought I would photograph and so I did and when I carried on walking she wasn't there.
At first I thought she'll come when I 'coo-up' and then I thought, she'll have gone on, and then I thought, she'll have gone back and so I was up and down the surrounding 200 or so yards thinking 'what do I do?' in a Pigletish way.
So in the end - ten minutes or so, I phoned Josie and asked her to check the doorstep, and decided to walk the route in reverse, in case she'd chased off looking for me.
People with dogs are a special breed, there were at least half a dozen who assured me they'd keep an eye out and phone me if they found her - thank heavens I put my mobile number on her collar.
I was most of the way back and my 'coo-up' was starting to sound strained when the phone rang.  She'd got home OK and one of Melvin's carers was looking after her. 
When I got back there she was in the back garden.  I'm not sure how a dog shows remorse but I'm pretty sure that she wasn't!  I didn't know what to do.  I didn't want to make a fuss, 'cos that might encourage a repeat performance and I certainly wasn't going to punish her 'cos I can still remember Dad thrashing Rusty for running off and going home on his own.  So I went for calm.  She didn't seem to notice.
Lesson:  when photographing, keep dog on lead!
This is my new camera - a Canon powershot SX200 IS.  I got it from Jessops and the assistant assured me the ixus 850 had been discontinued for ages.


After all the fuss and worry, I don't think the flower shots this morning were worth it and though I have a vague recollection of blue bells and robins, I was too distracted and hurried to take any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment