Linocuts

Saturday 27 March 2010

Why little weed

One of the things about getting older is the accumulation of connotations to every word. Like "Coo up" the image of a man with a crooked stick pointing up from his mouth like a megaphone and cows coming over the hill towards him - on Pipworth Lane, past the house that looked like a railway carriage.

Like the lover mentioned in the last post who gave me the nickname Ragwort - I never asked why - but it goes with Little Weed and here I am as her at some Miners Welfare do. Anthony and Alan were Bill and Ben, Tricia was a coolie, Vivienne = red riding hood,her mum the nurse (and she was carrying on with the local GP too - playing doctors and nurses, ha-ha) Bessie Kay's Ellen = the fairy and Susan the Hawaian - just look at that hair.




Ragwort - bright and cheerful if common
a persistent little weed poisonous to domestic animals that eat it - I wonder what he had in mind.
Getting old
As a label it might seem a bit down, covering as it does (so far) forgetting and excessive remembering but it is an awful lot better than the alternative. I will use it I think to references to memory and personal history.

No comments:

Post a Comment