Linocuts

Sunday 3 February 2013

Being braver

I discovered Paula Rego's prints in the library on Tuesday and have spent a lot of this week trying to see how she does it.
I've been looking at how she does hands and faces in particular
I'm still trying to draw people and have decided to move on to etchings this term to work on how to show solidity with shading.  Betty's 'thoughts on failing' stayed with me and I'm going to try and be a little (lot) less precious about what I do and then try and improve it rather than being all fiddly and fidgetty and throwing away when it isn't what I was trying to do.
This term's suggestion tied in with wanting to work on people. Instead of basing it on Holbeck Christmas Fare though, this is going to be the printing group, so it will be mostly hands and faces. Not as feeling full as Paula Rego, but I hope to make them as strong.  Maybe there'll be something other than doodles to show for it next week.
I could show doodles I guess, talking about being less precious, but Angel is sat on me a bit like this
 
and the settee is warm and the air is cold and my sketch book and camera are on the kitchen table.

No comments:

Post a Comment