Linocuts

Wednesday 16 December 2009

For or against

This may be because I'm trying to write through feeling fragile - so if the bile shows, sorry!
There are those who support because they are:
for the thing
against 'not the thing'.
The Leeds supporters I shared the bus with the other Saturday set me on this track. The crew nearest me favoured "You are my sunshine" as a pre-match warm up, towards the front it was "There'll be ten in red, dead at my feet". Although they did all join in "We hate Man U, we do, we do." That is one sentiment that unites all Leeds fans. I used to work with someone whose husband would rather his son wore a green dress than a red T-shirt.
Then, reading Rob Bell and the faith that defines itself by exclusions came to mind. I'd rather a faith that includes. He says, I think - I can't find it this morning to check - if it's true, it's from God. I like that - that's inclusive and walks straight through other labels.
Sitting at dinner last night (not responsible for the fragility except for piling rich food on rich food) trying to hear the truth and work out why I reject the BNP without knowing much about it, I think it is maybe about its base being anti not-like-us, the same reason for rejecting Jehovah's Witnesses' pattern of faith.
I need to work on this more. For now I'm going to close my eyes and fight off the sickies for ten minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment